Thursday, February 16, 2012

Do Over! My Hair is Running My Life (2.16.2012)

My hair is driving me nuts. Ever since having breast cancer, shaving off my unnaturally brown locks and having to wear a wig for 11 months, I've been dying -- no pun intended -- for my hair to grow back. Now it has and it's making me miserable. When I think of the time when I finally lost the wig, I know I was the happiest. My hair was a mere buzz cut and natural gray (don't tell anyone: I am not a natural blonde). I could wash it every day and since it was about a 1/8" long, drying it was a snap. Since it was super-short, I wore really fun earrings so I would look like I had it going on. Of course, men of every age treated me like I was The Invisible Woman, but other than that, it was cool. One person told me I looked like a super-chic art gallery owner in New York. BINGO! Remind me to write that woman a check because that was exactly the vibe I was trying for. But now it's longer. And blonde. And washing and drying it is a pain. Some days I actually choose to not work out because I just don't want to deal with The Hair. And Jesus knows that any day that my brain says "let's go work out", is a good day -- not one to be ignored because of a few flippy, blonde curls.

So in honor of letting my hair grow, dying it blonde and buckling under to The Man, I want a "do-over". I want to cut it short again (well, maybe not buzz-cut short because I would like to actually date a man again before I die...) and I might think about letting it go to my natural color again. Well, maybe. Perhaps I'm not fully committed to this. But just watch out because I'm thinking about it and when I think about things, anything can happen. Just you wait and see. 

15 comments:

  1. Scissor over comb is a sassy look! I say go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun. And a guy that sees hairstyle over personality ... oh yeah buddy, keep on walkin ... yep, that's it ... buh bye.

    You have a happy heart. You need happy hair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i usually flat iron my hair in the winter. I decided to stay curly. So i know what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do whatever you feel best, it should fit your personality!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woman can be haters or motivators. Kudos to the lady that gave you such a wonderful compliment. We need that. What is it when men? AND little boys?! Here's a chuckle for you - its part of my post today but I'll copy and paste:
    ..........
    "You're the prettiest mom I've ever had". I said, "Thanks sweetie." He says, "Except you don't have the hair I like." I said, "Humph." Then he said, "I just wish you had it like when I was a baby." I said, "Ok that's enough."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing how hair affects our perception, huh? Many a guy, I've looked at his long flowing locks and thought 'Yeah baby!'... Seen again, minus lion's mane... not so much. So I guess we women do it too. I think, in your place, I'd look in the mirror, decide on a natural, short, manageable (i.e. - get out of bed and do nothing to it) do... and then dye it fluorescent violet *grin* Now if that doesn't get you some attention I don't know what will!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Life is enough of a hassle. Why wear someone else's hairstyle on YOUR head? LOL!!! Go for it and post pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a good point! And if it's someone else's hairstyle, don't THEY have the responsibility to take care of it? lol

      Delete
  8. sounds like your hair is more of a problem than you need it to be....i say do what feels right... if short it is, cut it... your happiness will draw men in, not the length of your hair.... not always easy to do... but you may find more power in yourself just by doing what you want, instead of what others hope you will do....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't it the truth - we're all terrorized by hair. When I wore my wig during chemo, a stranger complimented me on 'my' hair. Steve says I should have taken it off and handed it to her...but then I'd be bald to the world, and that was hard to contemplate. Glad it's back...but I'll never take it too seriously again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Bets, I think I'm getting there. I've cut my salon time in half compared to before --lol-- but I need something a little more wash 'n wear. That will still allow MEN to be attracted to me. LOL...

      Delete
  10. After years and years of fighting my corkscrew curly hair, I finally made friends with it and am loving it. I wanted to befriend the gray, too, but since I'd been coloring my hair, the grow-out was a definitive line, rather than a nice, natural transition look. I'm working with a colorist now to transition me from my natural brown/gray to gray.

    Crazy how much thought we give to our hair, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! And every woman I talk to can relate! Maybe it was a more natural transition (post-BC) to try to get back to a blonde version of what I was before. Now I need to figure out: Just who do I want to be NOW? Hmmm. Have to think about that one...:-)

      Delete
  11. Do whatever makes you happy! It is your hair! The important person to please is yourself. Of the billions of men in the world there has to be at least one who will think you look absolutely fabulous. Still, if you feel you look fabulous...everyone else will think so too!!

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good advice. Now I know why you are always giggling! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete