Monday, February 6, 2012

Extreme Eating: Kale Edition (2.06.2012)

Please don’t worry. My blog will never be a food blog. What it will be – occasionally – is a way for me to get connected back to real food and real eating.

I eat so many meals that come into my house with a bar code on them that it's time to go in a different direction. I’m starting to enjoy getting back into the kitchen. And on those days, I hope you enjoy the journey with me.

So about the kale thing. I was reading The New York Times, a place I actually used to work (back in the day when people read newspapers made of paper; and everyone in New York wore fur coats with impunity) and I stumbled across this recipe for kale and tofu*. The word “stumbled” is apt because I would never actually search for recipes using these ingredients. Nonetheless, I was intrigued.

My approach to this meal was much less organized than The Beef Stew Project (1.27.2012). I figured that since I didn’t need to feed it to my son (as if!) I would just wing it the best I could. For example: I didn’t have quite a few of the ingredients, and some of them I wouldn’t have wanted to use anyway (Serrano pepper? I don’t think so). Anyway, I managed to find a sort-of wok among the pots and pans and do a sort-of stir fry.

The result was pretty amazing. And more than anything, I felt noble for eating kale and tofu. Best of all, since it was so filling, I had lots of leftovers for the weekday. Depending how you feel about kale and tofu, this may or may not be a good thing.





No comments:

Post a Comment