Saturday, February 18, 2012

Popovers, Movies, Motherhood (2.19.2012)

So this was the weekend of finally using The Baby. And what better test (for me at least) than a Baking 101 session: Popovers! I have never even eaten a popover much less made one. But I can do this. And if I can do this, I can do anything. So here's how I did it:

Recipe: First, I dumped a bundle on a beautiful KitchenAid stand mixer, otherwise known as The Baby (see Candy Apple Red Love, 2/14/2012). It came with a little instruction booklet ("Stand Mixers for Dummies") and recipes. Don't tell KitchenAid, but I will share the recipe here to save you countless sums of cash. (That is, unless you really NEED a gorgeous stand mixer):


Stuff You'll Need: Next, I assembled the critical ingredients. This included setting up my laptop in the kitchen so I could stream Final Destination 2 from Netflix while I was baking. I LOVE the Final Destination series. It's a total guilty pleasure.
Funny Story That Has Nothing to do with Baking: During the Christmas holidays when my son Sam was hanging out with me for a week, I asked him if he wanted to watch Final Destination 5 with me. He was lukewarm about it, but finally agreed. As we sat there together watching the first big accident scene, he clapped his hands over his mouth and was silent. Finally, he said: "SWEET MOTHER OF GOD. WHAA IS THIS?" When we finally stopped laughing about this, we talked about what a great Mom I was for suggesting that he watch such a movie. We laughed so hard about that, it became one of those unforgettable moments that you have with your kids if you are lucky. One of those moments when they get to look behind the curtain and see you as a person, not necessarily their Mom. I'll never forget it.

Thank you for humoring me, while I digress. Back to popovers!

Mixing Stuff: Here is The Baby, and proof that I have used it at least once. Honestly, it was such a breeze.


Pouring Stuff: As I disengaged the 5 quart glass bowl from the mixer stand, I noticed that it was literally bigger than my head. So, I kind of dripped on the counter. Please make sure you do this too so I don't get mad at you, thinking that you are doing it better than me.

Viola! They turned out great! Just for giggles, I had one for breakfast this morning with a little butter and freshly grated Parmesan cheese*. It was really terrific. Highly recommend!

*[Author's Note: Ever since I've stopped using Kraft Parmesan Cheese out of a little plastic container and started spending $12 a pound on the real thing, I think I invented Parmesan cheese. And I'm sure that my poor little Italian Grandmother, Lillian, is now resting more peacefully in her grave just knowing that.]

No comments:

Post a Comment