Friday, March 30, 2012

TGIF: So Here's What I Did Today (3.30.2012)

I got up at and went to see my Endocrinologist. I'll tell you something: one thing about Endocrinologists is that they run a tight ship. I had a pre-surgical appointment on Monday and found myself waiting to see the family practice guy for two solid hours. Thank God they had an issue of People Magazine that I hadn't read. Don't get me wrong: LOVE the family practice guy. He actually sees Sam too. But without exaggeration, I spent more time waiting for him for my pre-surgical consult than my actual knee surgery will take. That's just wrong.

So anyway, my Endocrinologist. Big surprise: the guy is gorgeous and a skier. But more than that, my appointment was for 8:40 am and guess what? He was in the room by 8:43 which is late by his standards. You can say anything you want about Endocrinologists being kind of bloodless (ironically) because what they do is all TSH levels and chemistry and whatever else. But I would rather go to one of their appointments anytime.

OK, so I come out of the doctor's office and head to the parking lot. I can't believe I'm writing about this because this is not something I'm proud to admit. And the fact is, I don't think I have ever done something like this is my life. But here's what happened: someone parked their car so close to mine that I truly thought I was going to have to call the fire department to tow their car so I could get into mine. I really didn't think I could do it. My SUV (X3) has a center console and I just didn't know how the heck I was going to be able to get in my car without doing an impersonation of a gymnast.

So I hold my breath, shimmy in, and by God's good graces, get into the driver's side. At this point, I am just completely annoyed. Since I have made it into the car, I decide to push my luck and (just like yesterday) give this person a piece of my mind. So I leave a note under the windshield wiper of their car:


"You are a big asshole and left me no room to get into my car. Learn how to park!"

I'm really not a mean person and thought long and hard about leaving such a note. In the end, I realized that I thought much longer and harder about leaving such a note (and bumming someone out) than they thought of me having to skydive into my car.
So I drive to work, get there about 9:30, knowing I am walking into a full-blown Friday fire drill. It seems that one of our proposals has made it to Stage Two, which means we need to prepare a second response. By Monday. A meeting I managed to arrange the evening before with about five or six people morphs into a Webex with 15 people. I am leading. Luckily I only have to be coherent for 30 minutes and it works out fine. I spend the rest of the afternoon following up on a few promises and actually putting my feet up on the little mini file cabinet next to my desk. My boss, who I've known for 10 years, laughs at me (Thank God). We are all pretty toasty from today's fire drill.

(For Position Only.
Not really my feet.)
Later in the day, one of my Subject Matter Experts who works out of Virginia and who has just invited me to have dinner with her when she's in town next week, asks me who wrote the sucky (not her word) response to Question 21. I think for a second and tell her, "I did." Then I ask, "Can I still come to dinner?"

I finally leave work around 4:45 and go to pick up Sam. On the way, I finally find time to stop by National Camera Exchange and buy the macro lens I've been jonesing for for a long time. A little gift to myself. Then I go pick up Sam who is all smiles. Our plans are to go home and hang out tonight and then go to the Minnesota Zoo tomorrow. When we get home, I ask him to help me with the grocery delivery. He starts to say no, but I do that thing that all parents do: beat them at their own game.

"OK, here's the deal: you told me you are a grown man. And that's great. But your Mom just asked you for help. And what grown men do is suck it up and help their Mom." He laughs and does an extraordinary job helping me. It's like he can't do enough.
Picture of the pizza using my new macro lens.

While he is upstairs doing guy stuff in his man cave, I start making a pizza. Like, really making one from the dough up. Feeling creative, I also find time to make myself a Cosmo. I know Cosmos aren't cool, but I still enjoy them. And I make enough that if Hadley happens to show up, I can split it with him.

The pizza is done and the Cosmo is starting to make me feel invincible. It's the perfect end to a perfect day.

2 comments:

  1. Look forward to your challenge posts...
    --Damyanti, Co-host A to Z Challenge April 2012

    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete