Wednesday, April 4, 2012

"D" is for Death of a Salesman (4.4.2012)

OMG. Death of a Salesman. On Broadway. With Philip Seymour Hoffman, Andrew Garfield (from The Social Network) and directed by Mike Nichols.

Did I say OMG?

I was reading along in my e-version of The Times and when I saw the picture below I almost held my breath. All I could think of was whether or not I could get on a plane this weekend and just go see it. (Unfortunately, I have knee surgery so my flight time to Broadway will be delayed.)

I am a big Philip Seymour Hoffman fan. I recently saw Capote for about the fifth time and each time I see it I am just mesmerized by his performance. Interesting that when I read the theatre review, Ben Brantley, The Times reviewer, was not so cup-runneth-over about it. He thought Mike Nichols' direction was "an immaculate monument to a great American play". However, as we say in Minnesota, he was not-so-much about Philip Seymour Hoffman, calling him "one of the finest actors of his generation" but "his stage work has been more variable." Ouch. Break my heart why don't you?

No matter. I would still crave a seat in the audience to watch Philip Seymour give a variable performance. And I still lust for the illusive return trip to New York City to attend The Theee-ah-tah. One of these days, I'm going to make it back there. Just you wait and see.

Author's Note: In the month of April, I am participating in the A to Z Blogging Challenge. The idea is to blog about something every day, starting with the first letter in the alphabet ("A") and continuing through all 26 letters (to "Z"). (We get Sundays off for good behavior.) In order to make this fun and challenging, I've decided to theme my A to Z blogging. Here's the plan: since I love reading The New York Times, and since I always find no shortage of frightfully interesting stories, I am going to center my blog on the stories I find in The Times. One thing I promise: an A to Z ride through The Times as diverse as the Gray Lady herself. Hang on for some fun. Or as Kevin said in Home Alone (one of my favorite lines), "I think I'll give it a whirl..."
 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link to the Story:
American Dreamer, Ambushed by the Territory


Also, Don't Miss:
Designs for a New Generation
Death of a Salesman poster entries from students at
Parsons the New School for Design in New York City.



1 comment:

  1. I agree--Philip Seymour Hoffman is very talented. I hope you get front row seats!

    ReplyDelete