Tuesday, April 10, 2012

"I" is for Instantaneous Illegitimate Indictment (4.10.2012)

"It took only two minutes. An unfounded report on a little-known blog claiming that Gov. Nikki R. Haley was about to be indicted rocketed from South Carolina political circles into national circulation, along the way becoming the latest lesson in the perils of an instantaneous news culture."
---Jeremy Peters, The New York Times


This is NOT a story about politics. First, let me say that this is not a story about politics. Well, I mean it is in the sense that it's about dirty politics, or stupid politics, or the lengths that someone will go to to have their 15 minutes of fame. But that's no surprise, right?


Romney? Haley? Fugghettaboutit. What I mean to say that I am neither for Romney or against Romney; for Haley or against Haley. But that being said, I am against doing a number on a candidate who on the outside appears to be an honest, upstanding, seriously articulate woman who for some reason wants to spend the next few months of her life being inevitably compared to Sarah Palin. 



Haley is NOT Palin. I first became aware of Gov. Haley through a Morning Edition interview about her new book ("Can't Is Not an Option") on Minnesota Public Radio. It was early in the morning and I was more concerned with what was going on in my closet than going on in the world. But then I heard this woman. I kept waiting for her to say something dumb, or appear to be shy on the facts, or to rest her laurels on being folksy -- in other words -- do something Palin-like. But she didn't. She was super-articulate, not-shy, very informed and she just rocked that interview. I was impressed. It actually kind of woke me up. In a word: Wow. 



A National Blogger Science Project. The truth is, I was way more impressed with what she had to say than with anything I had heard so far from Romney. And then this: A 25-year old blogger, Logan Smith, with liberal leanings publishes a lie on Twitter which is picked up within minutes by USA Today and ABC News, culminating in a front page story on the largest newspaper in South Carolina. 


“Well, now I know what it’s like to 
watch a story go viral in real time.
---Logan Smith, editor of the Palmetto Public Record


Save Me From Pawlenty-Republicans. I know there's a lot of talk about whether or not Gov. Haley can attract women back to the Republicans and all that. And she seems like a pretty strong weapon who is not so secret anymore. However, as the mother of a young man with special needs, in a state that tends toward liberalism, I will never forget what the Republicans (spelled P-a-w-l-e-n-t-y) did from 2003 to 2011 to cut social services budgets. It was heartbreaking to hear stories of parents who had kept their children in the home as long as they possibly could, only to find out that when the time came to consider group home placement, there were no options for them. No new group homes being developed due to budget cuts, and a huge waiting list for any placements in homes that were already established. Meaning that families had to rely on more expensive crisis services to fill the gap. Terrible. Heartbreaking. Unless you've experienced first-hand the devastating results that can occur when you have an autistic child in major meltdown mode, or unless you've signed your child into a locked psychiatric facility and then been offered family counseling (because they don't know what the heck else to do for you), you can't imagine how bad it can get. They should have brought their kids to Pawlenty's office and asked his opinion on "next steps".


Religion, Politics, Lie-Free Zoning. I am so sorry. I have really gotten off the point here, but hopefully you get the gist. And maybe this is why people shouldn't write or talk about religion or politics because it gets really personal really fast. And of course, this is also true about writing or talking about lies. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Link to The Times Story:
A Lie Races Across Twitter Before the Truth Can Boot Up

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/10/us/politics/false-nikki-haley-twitter-report-spreads-fast.html?src=recg

------------------------------------------------------
Here is the link to Haley audio interview I heard on MPR: 
"It doesn't ever go away," [Nikki Haley] said of questions about her background. "We had a white legislator that called me a raghead, and we had an African-American legislator that said I was just a conservative with a tan. You know, these things won't stop. But it's the fight that you do, it's how you get through it. It's what you prove in the end. And the best part is that the people of South Carolina overcame that."

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/features/npr.php?id=150071819
-------------------------------------------------

Author's Note: In the month of April, I am participating in the A to Z Blogging Challenge. The idea is to blog about something every day, starting with the first letter in the alphabet ("A") and continuing through all 26 letters (to "Z"). (We get Sundays off for good behavior.) In order to make this fun and challenging, I've decided to theme my A to Z blogging. Here's the plan: since I love reading The New York Times, and since I always find no shortage of frightfully interesting stories, I am going to center my blog on the stories I find in The Times. One thing I promise: an A to Z ride through The Times as diverse as the Gray Lady herself. Hang on for some fun. Or as Kevin said in Home Alone (one of my favorite lines), "I think I'll give it a whirl..."

5 comments:

  1. I agree...I make it a point not to get sucked into commentary about politics or religion on FB. To each his own! As far as candidates this year...slim pickin's. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. not much into politics but now I'm interested in checking out that interview:)
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com
    Dropping by from the A-Z!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sad this still happens frequently!

    New follower here. I’m enjoying reading my fellow “A to Z”ers. I look forward to visiting again.

    Sylvia
    http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by from the Challenge. What a thought-provoking post. I plan to visit again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't like lies from anyone, no matter what party. I'm trying to visit all the A-Z Challenge Blogs this month.

    ReplyDelete