Monday, April 2, 2012

"A" is for Artifact (4.1.2012)

Introduction:
In the month of April, I am participating in the A to Z Blogging Challenge. The idea is to blog about something every day, starting with the first letter in the alphabet ("A") and continuing through all 26 letters (to "Z"). We get Sundays off for good behavior.

In order to make this fun and challenging, I've decided to theme my A to Z blogging. Here's the plan: since I love reading The New York Times, and since I always find no shortage of frightfully interesting stories, I am going to center my blog on the stories I find in The Times. I am late in starting already, so I will be doing a post today on "A" and a post for "B". Whew. This should catch me up.

One thing I promise: an A to Z ride through The Times as diverse as the Gray Lady herself. Hang on for some fun. Or as Kevin said in Home Alone (one of my favorite lines), "I think I'll give it a whirl..."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------


"A" is for Artifact

Cone shells collected in the 1950's
The Times did the coolest story on the Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University. The Academy is the oldest natural history museum in the Western Hemisphere, one of the largest in the world and in case that weren't enough -- has just marked it's 200th anniversary.

Fossil Invertebrates

The exhibition provides a rare glimpse into the curious collections of both scientist and amateur collector alike. The collections are both beautiful and haunting in their simplicity. I've included a few of the ones I love here.

Portrait of an American Flamingo by John James Audubon


Perhaps what I love about this story most of all is that I had no idea that I had such regard for natural history. Always nice to learn something new about yourself.


Slime molds from the 19th century

And here is the link to the accompanying article:

1 comment:

  1. That's a great idea for a theme. I'll be reading the rest!

    ReplyDelete