Thursday, April 12, 2012

"J" is for Jack White. (4.11.2012)

"J" is for Jack White: The Coolest, Weirdest, Savviest Rock Star of Our Time (according to The Times Magazine and the guy who wrote the story, who also writes for Rolling Stone and Men's Journal. So it must be true.)

So here's the deal with Jack White: About a year ago I was channel surfing and happened upon a White Stripes concert movie he did. I was fascinated because I had never heard of him before and he seemed -- as we used to say when I was 10 years old -- totally boss. He was kind of fascinating, this guy who was totally rocking out in this movie (do people still say that?) and the whole back story about how the other member of White Stripes was his sister. Except she wasn't. She was really his wife. As I said, I found the whole thing fascinating.

And you have to admit, how many 56 year old women know this much about Jack White? I mean, I knew this before I even read The Times. That's either really cool or really sad. Discuss.

So anyway, I start reading The Times Magazine article which just only makes him seem that much cooler, perhaps visionary. And I'm trying to figure out why I still find him so interesting. 

Cut to my morning commute and this is still bothering me. What the heck is it about this charismatic, liberal-with-the-truth and charts-his-own-course guy that I find so attractive? 

And then it hits me out of a random galaxy: He reminds me of a guy I used to date. The mind is so, so scary. 

When I was in my 20's, I dated this officially totally-wrong-for-me bad boy. (And "dated" may be stretching the definition of our time together.) There was something about him: in addition to the Official Bad Boy membership, and just to add panache to the otherwise ho-hum place we lived, he dressed beautifully: blue blazers with jeans, and the most beautiful loafers you could imagine. And his trademark was that he never wore socks -- even in the dead of winter. It's like he was South Beach in Poughkeepsie before there even was a South Beach. Isn't it hilarious what passes for exotic when we're in our 20's? 

And now that I look at the photos, I don't see any real resemblance. But trust me. He's exactly like that guy I dated.

P.S.- Jack's new solo CD, Blunderbuss, will be released on April 23rd. There is a rather rockin' video release of Sixteen Saltines on YouTube, but in the interests of keeping this a family show...


8/31/12 Post Update: 
My gift to you. 
Jack doing Sixteen Saltines at Lolla this summer. 

PS - Don't forget to note what he's wearing, including the boots.
Wow. Can you say rock star
---------------------------------
Link to the story:
Jack Outside the Box
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/08/magazine/jack-white-is-the-savviest-rock-star-of-our-time.html?scp=1&sq=jack%20white&st=cse

---------------------------------
Author's Note: In the month of April, I am participating in the A to Z Blogging Challenge. The idea is to blog about something every day, starting with the first letter in the alphabet ("A") and continuing through all 26 letters (to "Z"). (We get Sundays off for good behavior.) In order to make this fun and challenging, I've decided to theme my A to Z blogging. Here's the plan: since I love reading The New York Times, and since I always find no shortage of frightfully interesting stories, I am going to center my blog on the stories I find in The Times. One thing I promise: an A to Z ride through The Times as diverse as the Gray Lady herself. Hang on for some fun. Or as Kevin said in Home Alone (one of my favorite lines), "I think I'll give it a whirl..."

5 comments:

  1. 1. I think it's pretty danged groovy that you know so much about Jack White, and

    2. "And now that I look at the photos, I don't see any real resemblance. But trust me. It's exactly like that guy I dated." ~ I know *just* what you mean, Sister. :-)

    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I just have to agree with you. I was never much for Johnny Depp, but there's something about this guy. Oh right! We already explored that! But I'm with you, sista...:-)

      Delete
  3. I bought their first CD about 8 or 9 years ago and loved it. I had read about his wife previously in a blurb somewhere and I liked both of their voices. She's a cool drummer as well. I haven't kept up with them and honestly couldn't tell you squat about either of them now. But you're right, he's a different but good rocker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't get enough of Blunderbuss. For some reason, I missed White Stripes completely (huh? What the heck was I doing?). But now Blunderbuss has made me go "backwards" to White Stripes and I'm lovin' that too...and Jack of course :-)

      Delete