Friday, April 13, 2012

"K" is for Kitchen. What's in Yours? (4.12.2012)

Ever hear of a "Kitchen Audit?" Me neither until I read this story in The Times. Apparently, there exists a market research company that undertakes a massive audit every three years of what people keep in their kitchens and publishes said information in an equally large report. 

According to NPD, the market research firm who conducts these household audits, here's what you probably have in your kitchen:



And here are some things you probably don't have:
Not So Much: Mincemeat, Artichokes, Turnips and Almonds
I would have to agree with about 75 percent of this report, but some of the food items seem strange to me. Solid Pack Pumpkin? Not in my cupboard. I also wonder how they came up with Mincemeat as a "no". Not because I have this in my pantry, but because I don't have any Reindeer Pate or Mangosteen either. Seems kind of random. But that's just me.
----------------------------------------------------
Link to The Times Story:
What's in Your Kitchen?
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/13/whats-in-your-kitchen/
----------------------------------------------------

Author's Note: In the month of April, I am participating in the A to Z Blogging Challenge. The idea is to blog about something every day, starting with the first letter in the alphabet ("A") and continuing through all 26 letters (to "Z"). (We get Sundays off for good behavior.) In order to make this fun and challenging, I've decided to theme my A to Z blogging. Here's the plan: since I love reading The New York Times, and since I always find no shortage of frightfully interesting stories, I am going to center my blog on the stories I find in The Times. One thing I promise: an A to Z ride through The Times as diverse as the Gray Lady herself. Hang on for some fun. Or as Kevin said in Home Alone (one of my favorite lines), "I think I'll give it a whirl..."

1 comment:

  1. I don't have canned pumpkin, either, but I do have the other stuff. And I don't have any of the don't-haves. Not that I don't like artichokes or turnips; they're just once-in-great-while things. This seems like an awfully strange thing to do a survey of. I wonder who pays for it?

    ReplyDelete