Wednesday, April 18, 2012

"O" is for Opinionator and "I'm O.K." (4.17.2012)

So yesterday's letter ("N" for News) threw me into an absolute tizzy. (I'll have to remember "tizzy" when I get to the letter "T"...) Anyway, I thought I would try to bring logical balance to my tizzy by facing up to it and acknowledging it with several witty illustrations that might help categorize and otherwise capture my deteriorating state of mind.

These illustrations are part of The Times Opinionator column --designed to bring exclusive online commentary on everything from politics to panic attacks. No lie.

The artwork below is from The Opinionator series on ANXIETY and "how we navigate the worried mind, through essay, art and memoir." So, join me as we take a stroll through the worried mind and take a moment to select your favorite nervous breakdown -- from panic attacks and phobias to fear of not being cool. Collect the set! 
In the Arcadian Woods
By GEORGE MAKARI
Illustrated by Henning Wagenbreth
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/16/in-the-arcadian-woods/#more-126485

Panic in Paradise
By Kara Baskin
Illustrated by Sophy Hollington
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/31/panic-in-paradise/#more-125807

Tattoos for the Terrified

By FRANK LESSER
Illustrated by Lisa Hanawalt
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/09/tattoos-for-the-terrified/#more-124747

Things to Fear and Loathe
By PATRICIA PEARSON
Illustrated by Brian Rea
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/03/things-to-fear-and-loathe/#more-122517
 
A Song of Woe, Gone Viral (Bonus Comic Strip)
By JEFFREY LEWIS
Illustrated by Jeffrey Lewis
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/13/a-song-of-woe-gone-viral-bonus-comic-strip/#more-120785

It’s Still the ‘Age of Anxiety.’ Or Is It?
By DANIEL SMITH
Illustration by Ted McGrath
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/14/its-still-the-age-of-anxiety-or-is-it/#more-118143

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note: In the month of April, I am participating in the A to Z Blogging Challenge. The idea is to blog about something every day, starting with the first letter in the alphabet ("A") and continuing through all 26 letters (to "Z"). (We get Sundays off for good behavior.) In order to make this fun and challenging, I've decided to theme my A to Z blogging. Here's the plan: since I love reading The New York Times, and since I always find no shortage of frightfully interesting stories, I am going to center my blog on the stories I find in The Times. One thing I promise: an A to Z ride through The Times as diverse as the Gray Lady herself. Hang on for some fun. Or as Kevin said in Home Alone (one of my favorite lines),
 "I think I'll give it a whirl..."

2 comments:

  1. lol! Perfect that I'm reading this at this moment as I am up, unable to sleep because of worrying, anxiety etc. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Well Sandra, I'm glad the blog was useful, but sorry you can't sleep!

    ReplyDelete