Saturday, April 21, 2012

"R" is for Racing with the Wind. (4.20.2012)

One of the fun challenges of the A to Z Blogging Challenge and the theme that I've chosen is picking a story from The New York Times out of the hundreds published that prompt me to want to write. Some days it can be painful to find stories through the lens of the alphabet. For example, there aren't many stories in The Times where "K" factors in prominently if you don't count "Korea" or "Kew Gardens". Just sayin'. And no offense to either Korea or Kew Gardens in that regard.


Today however, I am presented with a smorgasbord of "R" stories right on the front page. And my experience with "K" and "R" has been a lot like life: Sometimes when you're frantically searching for something, it eludes you. And then when you've incorporated that into your view of the world, an "R" comes along to smash all the rules. Of course, in the A to Z Blog Challenge as in Life, you only need one "R" story. Having 17 of them is kind of useless.


Which made me think of the Alanis Morrisette song, Ironic, which I include for your listening and thinking pleasure:



O.K., so on to the smorgasbord of "R" stories. No worries. I did pick a spectacular one out of the entrants:


Rapper: T Magazine: A Rapper's Strange Trip toRussia
RecountsWoman Recounts Quarrel Leading to AgentScandal
Red Sox: Bats: Red Sox Toast 100 Years at Fenway
Reinventing: Reinventing the Third-Year Medical Student
Remembering: Remembering Dick Clark
Rent: The City of Sky-High Rent
Reprimand: Vatican Reprimands a Group of U.S. Nuns and Plans Changes
Rescue: A Filly’s Unlikely Journey From a Rescue Project to the Racetrack
Returning: Returning to the Sermon on the Mount
Review: Theater Review: ‘Clybourne Park’
Rich Ross: Rich Ross, Disney Studio Chairman, Is Forced Out
Rock 'n' Roll: An Appraisal: The Man Who Made Rock ’n’ Roll Safe Enough for America
Rodent: Looks Like a Rodent, Croons Like a Bird
Romance: Nicholas Sparks’s Well-Hydrated Romance
Room: Room for Debate: Is Legal Prostitution Safer?
Rough-Throated: Levon Helm, Drummer and Rough-Throated Singer for the Band, Dies at 71
Runneth: On Sundays, the DVR Runneth Over


So after sifting through all of these, I found The One:  A Filly's Unlikely Journey from Rescue Project to the RacetrackA few notes on this story:

- This is the first story from the Sports section of The Times.
- I am really not into horse racing at all, but do love horses. 
- It's a beautiful story of rescue, redemption and possibilities. It's worth the read.

Notinrwildestdremz, who began life as one of the
177 horses that were starving and all but abandoned.
 







Oh, and I almost forgot:  Since the subject of the story was the 5R Racehorse Stables (signifying rescue, rehabilitation, racing, retraining and retiring) I figured that if I couldn't recognize that as a sign of the "R" story I should write about, then I needed some of the 5R stuff for myself.

Read the story. It's very cool. Enjoy.

Link to The Times story:
--------------------------------------

Author's Note: In the month of April, I am participating in the A to Z Blogging Challenge. The idea is to blog about something every day, starting with the first letter in the alphabet ("A") and continuing through all 26 letters (to "Z"). (We get Sundays off for good behavior.) In order to make this fun and challenging, I've decided to theme my A to Z blogging. Here's the plan: since I love reading The New York Times, and since I always find no shortage of frightfully interesting stories, I am going to center my blog on the stories I find in The Times. One thing I promise: an A to Z ride through The Times as diverse as the Gray Lady herself. Hang on for some fun. Or as Kevin said in Home Alone (one of my favorite lines),
 "I think I'll give it a whirl..."

4 comments:

  1. Good story, but you are a tad late, its S day today.

    Will read the racehorse story later, I love stories like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...I know. I am a little late. Will have to gather my thoughts for "S" but that will be easy :-). I meant to post this last night. Shhhhh, don't tell anyone! lol

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing this; it brought tears to my eyes. Every day is a treasure to behold, and, I can only look in wonder as these horses come back to regular lives, with successful jobs, and happy homes.

    Very, very cool!

    And what a very, very cool blog you have too!

    Thank you...: )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Thanks, Anon! (I think I know who you are anyway and that YOU are someone who also gives horses a second chance at life...) Glad you enjoyed the story AND are doing the kind of amazing rescue work you are doing with your champions! :-)

      Delete