Wednesday, April 25, 2012

“V” is for Vows, Sweet Vows. (4.25.2012)

Ever since beginning the A to Z Blogging Challenge I have wanted to do a post on the Weddings/Celebrations section of The New York TimesYears ago (when I was in primary marriage mode) we used to refer to it as The Women’s Sports Pages. The Times' Weddings/Celebration pages have changed a lot since then, and the most notable change is the acceptance of announcements from same-sex couples as of September 2002. So maybe it should more appropriately be referred to as both the Women's and Men's Sports Pages. Nonetheless, it is still the go-to scorecard for any self-respecting social climber.


The Bride's Bouquet
Being one of the couples who gets a wedding announcement in The Times is one thing. But scoring the feature story in Vows is the large Cartier diamond on top of the Honeymoon Solitaire setting. That's why after seeing this sweet, sweet story of a couple who didn’t meet at Harvard and who are not now attending John’s Hopkins medical school together, or who only trace their ancestry back to Joplin, MO and not Jamestown, VA, I had to share.


I picked this story largely due to the charming photos taken by Steve Herbert of The New York Times. There is sweetness and innocence that comes through in these photos, just as it comes through in the story about this young couple, just 21 and 22 years of age, who have learned how to survive a tornado and how to accept the kindness that arises out of acknowledging imperfections in the person you love.


I hope you enjoy the story and the photos as much as I did. Sniff, sniff. 
Photo Credit: Steve Hebert for The New York Times
Photo Credit: Steve Hebert for The New York Times
Photo Credit: Steve Hebert for The New York Times
Photo Credit: Steve Hebert for The New York Times
Photo Credit: Steve Hebert for The New York Times

Here is the link to the story about the 
Hogue-Foster wedding:


Here is the link to the complete photo slide show:

------------------------------------------------------------------
Author's Note: In the month of April, I am participating in the A to Z Blogging Challenge. The idea is to blog about something every day, starting with the first letter in the alphabet ("A") and continuing through all 26 letters (to "Z"). We get Sundays off for good behavior. In order to make this fun and challenging, I've decided to theme my A to Z blogging. Here's the plan: since I love reading The New York Times, and since I always find no shortage of frightfully interesting stories, I am going to center my blog on the stories I find in The Times. One thing I promise: an A to Z ride through The Times as diverse as the Gray Lady herself. Hang on for some fun. Or as Kevin said in Home Alone (one of my favorite lines), "I think I'll give it a whirl..."

9 comments:

  1. Nice. I was married 11 years ago and just saw today that they're actually tearing down the place where we had our reception. Home that's no omen:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. No way! It just means there are no do-overs since they'll be no place to "do-over"...:-) Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that first picture. So heartwarming and sweet.

    Women's sports pages. ~chortle~ :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It makes me misty...
      And true about the "sports pages". It's still a good social scorecard for who "nabbed" who...lol

      Delete
  4. Awesome!

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy! I wish I had taken those pics! :-)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks! Isn't it? The photography is so wonderful!...

      Delete
  6. Sniff, sniff is right! What an incredible love story.

    ReplyDelete