Thursday, April 26, 2012

"W" is for Wheels. The Sporty Kind. (4.26.2012)

O.K., I'll just admit it: I am a "ho" for wheels. I just am. For years, I was not really that interested in cars. And then it happened: I had my first test drive of an Audi A4 the first year they were re-designed (like 1997?). It took my breath away. It was such a fun experience I felt like I needed to smoke a cigarette when I was done. My ex and I bought that A4, a red one, and drove it and drove it until one day, it just stopped. This was actually good news as we could no longer afford the $1,000 a month maintenance habit at the local Audi dealer after it went off warranty. 
Photo Credit: Porsche North America
In 2003, I let go of the A4 and leased a post-divorce BMW 328xi. My first BMW. The 328xi was the equivalent of buying a red convertible. It was fast, it was silver and it drove like a sports car. I had a BMW bike rack on the roof which I used frequently to cart my bike all over the place and I thought I was da bomb. Fun! 
From 2006 to about 2009, I toyed with being responsible and actually purchased a Honda CRV. Part of the decision to buy a car was the expectation that there might be some family-blending going on in the near future. I can't say I really enjoyed owning it that much. For me, it was one more thing I didn't really want to maintain and while it handled very respectably, it didn't drive like a sports car. And then one fine day I broke up with the camping-skiing-hiking guy and his kids (see Love in The Time of Baked Beans, 2/7/12 ). I waited a few years before I traded it in for a beautiful white bachelorette car: a BMW 328 x-drive with a cinnamon interior. Loved that car. 
Photo Credit: Porsche North America
A few months ago I leased a BMW X3 so my 6'1" son Sam would fit in my car without his head jutting out of the sunroof. Don't get me wrong: I really love the X3. And as well as it handles, it just doesn't have that low-to-the-ground sport suspension that makes you feel like you're hugging the road and the road is hugging you back. It's a great car, and it's a lush drive. It's just not a sports car.


How cool would I have looked 
driving to school in
my OLL uniform and 
knee socks in this little number?
The mind reels.
Forever and always, I have wanted to own a sports car. And I remember when my well-meaning parents ruined your life and denied me my dream all at the same time: It was the day my parents refused to let me buy my older brother's little green MGB GT convertible for $800 when I was 16. Buying a sports car now will no longer make me one of the coolest kids in high school as it would have then, but I just don't really see why I should leave this earth without fulfilling this desire. And as desires go, it's such a small, succinct, manageable one that hurts only the status of my carbon footprint. Don't you think? And maybe if I stick with my plan, I could end up being the coolest kid in Assisted Living. It's all relative. 


So take a look at these.  See what you think. Just don't touch because I saw them first.
---------------------------------------
Link to The Times Review:
Wheels: The Nuts and Bolts of Whatever Moves You
The Porsche 911 Carrera S

Wheels: The Nuts and Bolts of Whatever Moves You
A Brawnier Boxster for 2012


---------------------------------------

Author's Note: In the month of April, I am participating in the A to Z Blogging Challenge. The idea is to blog about something every day, starting with the first letter in the alphabet ("A") and continuing through all 26 letters (to "Z"). We get Sundays off for good behavior. In order to make this fun and challenging, I've decided to theme my A to Z blogging. Here's the plan: since I love reading The New York Times, and since I always find no shortage of frightfully interesting stories, I am going to center my blog on the stories I find in The Times. One thing I promise: an A to Z ride through The Times as diverse as the Gray Lady herself. Hang on for some fun. Or as Kevin said in Home Alone (one of my favorite lines), "I think I'll give it a whirl..."

9 comments:

  1. Boy, this all puts my kid encrusted dented minivan to shame....

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. That's ok. You can't fit very many kids in a sports car and as I found out, you can't fit one very BIG kid in a sporty car (Head through sunroof thing...). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't want my husband to see these, he's a big Porsche guy. Me? I'm a Saab and Land Rover die-hard fan. Something about Swedish engineering makes me...ummm... like... YEAH baby... you know, positively orgasmic!

    Never too late, Denine, never too late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm talking about! LOL. I love both Saab and Land Rovers. Nice looking cars! When I commuted from CT to NY I had a crush on a beautiful white Saab convertible that's I'd always see in the parking lot :-)

      Yeah Baby! lol

      Delete
  4. My dad was a big Audi fan. They are cool looking but they break down at every bend and turn. A week after dad drove his last Audi off the lot, the transmission gave out stranding us on a busy highway during the Thanksgiving travel rush. This was followed by other issues and he finally got rid of it a couple months ago.

    The Lexus cars are nice but I think they are more luxury types than sportsy types.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that something? They are beautiful cars but I started to feel like I should just have direct deposit to the dealership (for repairs) after a while. Really like the Lexus SUVs...Pretty! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. Funny really, to me a car is a means of transport from A to B. Just remembered I did once fall in love with a Mercedes Sports car a long time ago. I was in Paris, the car was bright red and sitting in the sunshine. It was a very brief love affair though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Well, that's to be expected in Paris I suppose!

      Delete
  6. Hi Denine! I say, it’s never too late to purchase a sports car. We all have frustrations in life, and that’s part of being a human that we need to satisfy. As for me, I’ve been aiming to find a 2009 Chevrolet Corvette to restore. Maybe buying a used car will also work for you. Don’t deprive yourself with the little things in life that make it great! Have a blast!

    ~Carry Demaggio

    ReplyDelete