Sunday, April 29, 2012

"Z" is for Zeal. The Fitness Kind. (4.30.2012)

Caution: This blog post could seriously improve the status of your fitness, but might scare you to death.


Love this story in The Times, alas, the last one in the A to Z Blogging Challenge which prompts me to write about the letter "Z". I thought I would try to end the alphabet with a bang and hopefully induce a motivational jump-start to my own fitness zeal. You see, I had my latest motivation interrupted by scheduled ACL reconstruction surgery. (Think "D" for Drat!) So I need all the small steps, scare tactics, atta-girls and anti-depressants that I can muster.


Ever the optimist, here's the good news: I am no longer using crutches, and I have a much better sense of the fitness road ahead of me. I am three weeks out from surgery and probably have about five more weeks of physical therapy and then some strength-building for the sports I want to go back to (like skiing, cycling, jogging and rough sex). First sport on the list: walking without a limp. 


Here's the really funny part, which except for about 15 years of dance when I was a kid, I can't account for: I seem to be the resident Ripley's Believe It or Not specimen in my physical therapist's office. I had a 90-degree range of motion one week after surgery. One and a half-weeks later, I have a 130 degree range of motion. I am the talk of the office. Again, apparently this is not common for 56-year old women and certainly not even common for 25-year old women. Maybe I should post a profile for my youthful knees on match.com (along with my sports activities...). 


Although range-of-motion is certainly a nice-to-have, it is still frustrating knowing that I've got several weeks to go before they cut me loose. And in the meantime, if my spectacular range-of-motion continues, maybe I can get a part-time job with the circus.


So back to The Times story. I work with several people who are good role models for reminding me to move around more during the day. I mean, we are writers after all and that's what we do -- we read huge state bids and bask in the glow of our dual computer monitors while we conjure up solutions to current Medicaid challenges. (We are a smart group but we do get some help with this.) Not much walking involved there, but plenty of opportunity to snap-on your headset, stand-up and walk around while you are Being Here Now for the requisite two-hour meeting. And several of my colleagues do just that. Pre-surgery, I used to be one of them. Note to Self: Suck it up, quit your whining and start moving around more. 


One other note: if you look at nothing else in this story, take a look at the wonderful story illustrations by Anna Raff. I would reproduce them here, but I promised a certain someone that I would renounce my copyright-bashing ways and stop reproducing photography and original artwork in my blog (I'm on-board, EG. Pinky-swear.). Suffice to say, they are so powerful and funny that I think I will post them at my desk. If that doesn't scare me into standing and hobbling around, nothing will.
--------------------------------------------
Link to The Times story:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/29/sunday-review/stand-up-for-fitness.html?src=ISMR_AP_LO_MST_FB

Link to Illustrator Anna Raff's Web Site:
http://www.annaraff.com/
--------------------------------------------
Author's Note: 
In the month of April, I participated in the A to Z Blogging Challenge. 
And if you didn't know that already, you just haven't been paying attention. 
Or, you are a lovely new visitor to my site :-)
(for details, see my previous posts for the month of April). 
Today is the last day of the 2012 Challenge ("Z") and I have mixed emotions.
It's been a fabulous month of connecting with other writers, finding new friends 
and of course --exploring The New York Times

19 comments:

  1. Oh, you're my girl -- NY Times is my paper too. I read that article. Lucky for me as a mom I'm rarely sitting. And as for standing and writing, yep, I do that too, mostly like now at my kitchen counter. Standing DOES count supposedly....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am! LOVE The Times...and LOVE the article but it's a little sobering. I figure anything that gets me moving even a little bit is better! I sure hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear about the quick recovery after your surgery! Just about everyone I was an athlete with in school has had ACL surgery - I'm guessing any day now I'll have to, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am very glad it's over with, but I guess you never quite prepare yourself in the way you should for the recovery period (denial anyone???). But I'll get there...Thanks for visiting! Denine

      Delete
  4. What a great inspiring post to finish off the challenge. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! And congratulations to you too! I will be staring at my laptop with a blank look on my face for the rest of the week. LOL. BTW, I am standing up as I am writing this...:-) Thanks for commenting! Denine

      Delete
  5. I do believe it's safe to say that you are more fit post surgery than I am on a "good" day. Cheers to your recovery and thanks for the nod for me to be more active (and with Zeal no less on a Monday morning -wow!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to look up ACL. I am glad you are recovering so well and hope it will continue to improve and you will continue to "move". Hubby was an athlete and has had two hips and a knee totally replaced. I wasn't and have so far had one hip and it looks like I may have to go the rest of the way. Most of my life has been "why stand if you can sit" these days I am better, one of my primary activities is T'ai Chi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo -- Like you, I hope this is my last orthopod surgery. Hope it goes a l o n g way...Sounds like your hubby is the
      $6 million man (Maybe more with inflation :-) Denine

      Delete
  7. LOL! You are witty! I enjoyed reading it, and, yep, it was a good motivator. Thanks! I needed that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! I just have to listen to my own words now...:-)
      Denine

      Delete
  8. Perfect ending to a lovely series... Here's to you blogging about the rough sex you'll soon be able to engage in!
    Eyes on the prize, baby, eyes on the prize :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for appreciating my wacky sense of humor! I can't believe I said that so I'm just going to blame it on all the blogging I've been doing. After all, I DID wait until "Z" to lose my better judgment...LOL
      Denine

      Delete
  9. Great ending to a wonderful month long ride of fun!!

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Congratulations to you too, Kathy! Denine

      Delete
  10. you can do it, denine! happy blogging....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too! Congratulations on the A to Z finale!
      Denine

      Delete
  11. Congratulations for hanging in there all the way to the end of the challenge and to being one of Thelmaz 26!!
    I hope you're back on your feet soon, hiking and having that great rough sex!! he,he
    I checked out Anna's illustrations...very impressive!
    Love your blog!
    Kathy at Oak Lawn Images

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG that's so funny! Now I have an image to maintain. This may be a whole new blogging life for me...lol. Thanks for visiting!
      Denine

      Delete