Thursday, May 31, 2012

Growth Spurt


Lately, I've been writing about how much Sam has grown up, especially in the past year since he started working. It's such a hard thing to put into words, this growing up thing. This looking outside of the sphere of your family and taking a great big jump up and out into the world. I've struggled with how to articulate it.

And then, just before Sam and I left for Duluth for the weekend, I was in his room and I saw the box containing his very first pair of shoes. And then it hit me: No wonder I am having a hard time adjusting: I have been Sam's mother from the Size 7Ws through his current Size 13DDDDs. When I look at it like that, it makes me realize how much territory we've covered together and how much growing has occurred in between. 
Things are fine now and we (me) are over the worst of the sudden growth spurt/reality check that accompanied the jump into adulthood. But I still like this picture very much. And I think it says more about the journey of being a parent than words can ever say.

2 comments:

  1. That's a large pair of shoes isn't it? Seems youngsters today are 'spurting' into very big people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a precious photo. love it!

    ReplyDelete