Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A Told B and B Told C: "I Need Some Wine and No A to Z!"

The past few days have been so funny. First, there was a rip-roaring end of the A to Z Blogging Challenge. (I'll be right back. I think I owe myself a glass of wine...). 


Sam with instructor at We Can Ride.
Look at the devilish smile on My Angel.
"OK, so where was I?", she said lifting a Tiffany crystal flute of Lamarca Prosecco (She only has two of the flutes out of a set of four left. Bummer. In his day, Sam used to love to throw these against the tile floor when he had a meltdown. He just loved the tinkling sound they made as they shattered and the look on Mom's face as she realized she hadn't put the child lock on the cabinet door. It's what the behavioral analyst referred to as "overstimulating".) But all that was a long time ago.


It's funny how life can change in an instant. T-minus-five "instants" ago I was sitting down to write yet another post. Suddenly, I thought about visiting my writing group Facebook site to see how the A to Z Survivor party was going. It seemed to be in full, virtual swing. Everyone was drinking wine. Why not me? 


Luckily, when I remodeled the kitchen about two years ago, I made sure to have the contractor build in a small, 28-bottle wine fridge in my kitchen. Cross my heart, I did not know what type of floor I wanted in the kitchen or the color of the granite. I didn't know if I was going to go with stainless appliances or switch from electric to gas (I did both). However, I did know that I wanted a wine fridge. (Think "C" for kitchen "Conceit".) And for another moment, I actually worried because I could only fit the 28-bottle and not the 35-bottle fridge in the space. Then it occurred to me that as much as I like my wine, I probably have never had more than five bottles in my house at any one time. The rest is history. As conceits go, it's a fun one!


"She said, as she took the Lamarca Prosecco in increasingly larger gulps." Luckily, now that Sam was 22 and living at the group home, the support, stability, and a heartbreaking but healthy dose of what we called "behavior boot camp" (six months at an ICF-MR) when he was 10 years old had changed his life. Now he had bigger fish to fry (getting dates) and actually enjoyed drinking grape juice out of the remaining flutes on holiday occasions. 


As many of you may know, the past 30 days have been spent in the service of daily blogging, according to the letters in the alphabet. Great fun, new friends, and a very cool challenge that has kept me busy. Last night was the first night in a while that I had free -- free to complete some other volunteer obligations that I had signed up for. 


One of the main volunteer projects on my list was to record several audio books to promote literacy for kids in the Washington State school district (through Sparked, the very cool, micro-volunteering web site). So anyway, last night I finally sit down to do this. I have the MP3 software loaded. I have my new, Logitech microphone plugged into my laptop, and the books I promised to record sitting in my lap ready to go. I open the first book, an unfamiliar one to me, and read the first line:


"A told B and B told C, 
'I'll meet you at the top of the coconut tree'.
Whee said D to E   F  G. 
'I'll beat you to the top of the coconut tree'."
-From Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

At this point, I'm just laughing. Are you kidding me? Is this really my very first "to do" after the A to Z Challenge? Don't ever let it be said that God doesn't have a sense of humor.

Then again today, another funny coincidence. Weeks ago I volunteered to help with the volunteer newsletter for a local museum in Minneapolis. They check my references, make sure my picture is not hanging on the Post Office wall, and then I go to meet the volunteer manager today at the Minnesota Children's Museum in Saint Paul. It suddenly occurs to me that the entire building is dedicated to play in every possible form. From the Grossology exhibit to the Rooftop ArtPark -- it is all designed to engage the minds of kids in creating, developing and learning. What we might call playing. And all I can think is, "Drat. I'm going to have to do the Blogher challenge for May (on Play) now, aren't I?" It's like a sign. I'm not ready to say that it's a sign from God, but it's certainly a sigh from Blogher. Sigh. 

It's going to be another busy month.

2 comments:

  1. Ugh! A Blogher challenge for May, I don't think I could do it. I did NaBloPoMo in February and that alone drove me to drinking. lol! So let me help you here with a very heavy SIGH! :)

    Thank you for visiting my post, and let's stay in touch.

    ~Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved doing the A to Z challenge. For me it was fun to look up recipes with the right letter of the alphabet and I write every day but Sunday anyway so no big change for me.

    Hope your new challenge is also fun.

    ReplyDelete