Monday, June 4, 2012

Today Is My Birthday and...Yum!

So today is my birthday. The big day. As big days go, or even as little days go, it was a great day.


I always get weird on my birthday. It's just something I do. Having a birthday is so...public. That's the only word that comes to mind. And so I always end up feeling self-conscious in a weird way. Today was no exception except that everyone I work with handled my weirdness with grace and acceptance. I guess they are used to me, or way or another.


So my day went something like this: I snuck into the office and kept my head down and got to work. So far, so good. I was working on a noon deadline when my boss came over and asked me if there was anything I wanted to talk about that made today special. I laughed. "Noooooooooo," I said. She said, "Too late for that!" And she wished me a happy birthday.


From there I gratefully received a flurry of birthday wishes and text messages. My phone beeped and buzzed -- and then my team at work gave me some really healthy food covered in chocolate! Does it get any better than this? I don't think so!


The rest of the day was quiet and fun. I put the obligatory "eat me" post-it note next to the Edible Arrangement and everyone made sure to get a piece of the healthy food covered in chocolate. These are my people.


After work, I picked up My Best Guy and we had dinner at Red Robin where my Advanced Age Day qualified me for a free burger. I actually had a mushroom cheeseburger wrapped in iceberg lettuce which sounds awful, but which was wonderful (Yum!). I am hopeful that it was a caloric counter-balance to the chocolate-covered orange slices.


The remainder of the evening was spent goofing around with Sam. The sun was setting and the sky had a pinkish glow. The air was warm and breezy. We drove around Medicine Lake and talked about my dream of having a house on the water some day -- just a teensy-weensy place -- that we could both enjoy. Minnesota is the Land of 10,000 Lakes. Surely, there must be one lake that I can afford? If that won't work, having a house along the Luce Line Trail is my back-up plan. 


It's my birthday. I'm allowed to dream a little.


All in all the perfect birthday: the support of wonderful friends, a little high-test fruit, a few dreams and the company of the person I love most in the world. Not a bad birthday for an old gal. Happy 39 to me.  




3 comments:

  1. Old??? at 39??? Wait til you have achieved my years and then call yourself old. Glad you enjoyed your day, that's the main thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Advanced Age Day" bwahahaha!

    I can't believe I almost missed your birthday (seriously behind in my reading). Happy birthday Denine! May you get everything your little 39 year-old heart desires this year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan! PS - Take a look at my Sunday post. I've awarded you a One Lovely Blog award! Cheers!

      Delete