Sunday, June 3, 2012

Tomorrow Is My Birthday

Tomorrow is my birthday. I will be 57 years old. I have never much liked the odd numbered years. They seem more unstable than the even numbered ones. Of course, 57 is still much better than 58. It's all relative.

I feel like I'm doing pretty good for 57. I still have most of my original parts and any new parts were the result of a temporary system failure (breast cancer) or a dumb sports injury (just call me "cadaver knee"). I still care very much about being active and involved in life and always make sure to dress in a manner that looks like I'm a woman who still has sex. The fact is that I really haven't had much of that lately, but it's not for lack of interest. What it is they say? I am a victim of circumstance. The circumstance that I just happen to not be dating anyone. Maybe I'll just have to start reading Fifty Shades of Grey. I hear it does wonders for your sex life.


In lieu of the sex life I don't have, I need to come up with other things to do. So today I hauled the bike rack onto the car and did my first Luce Line ride of the season -- about 12 miles. It was pretty awesome. It's amazing what you can do when you have two working knees. I was clipping along at 20 mph and thinking, "I don't think I've done this for a while." I guess I'm a convert to the joys of orthopedic surgery.

Cycling is about the only thing I'm allowed to do for a few more weeks. In July I can start running again. Not that I'll start going for 20-mile runs or anything, but at least my knee will be ready for more than just walking. It's funny -- in the days when I would do half-marathons (I probably did 2 or 3 in my life), I can remember those moments when I just didn't believe I could take another step -- and then I did. And when I finished and it was such a great feeling of accomplishment. So, what's funny is that I don't miss running as much as I miss those moments of surpassing what I thought I was capable of. And the joy of the finish line. I really hope that, even at this ripe old age, I can get back to doing those things. Things that challenge me and make me surprise myself.

So anyway, I guess it's in order to say, "Happy Birthday To Me." But not until tomorrow -- I need to savor the last few hours of being 56.

2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to you, Happy etc. etc. Hope you have a fun day. As for being 57, oh if only, think 73 and then you can remind yourself how young you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jo! I guess it's all relative and nothing we can do about it but try to be sassy..lol

    PS - I have been a little AWOL with my blog. I am going to respond to my "Lovely Little Blog" duties ASAP. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete