Sunday, February 10, 2013

talking in elevators

For those of you who just can't get enough of me, I have started a new blog at WordPress: talking in elevators.com.

My dear friend, "Joe" (yes, his real name), will understand the genesis of this title since it is a joke between us. I tend to be an elevator talker and Joe is not. However, when we worked in the same building that never stopped me from trying to chatter at his rather solid (stolid?) Lutheran self with all number of personal remarks and asides. I think poor Joe was even forced to exit the elevator several floors prior to his destination just to get away from me, although he would deny that.

For me, I guess it's a New York Italian thing. And for Joe, he claims it's a Minnesota Lutheran thing. In either case, I hope the chatter in talking in elevators will be the beginning of something which is why I am writing it in chapters (which is a definite conceit on my part). But you have to start somewhere. I hope that what I write about in talking in elevators will be as honest as I can be as a writer and still have friends and remain employed. Honesty comes naturally to me, but honest writing is sometimes more of a challenge. So maybe that is part of this journey. I just hope that at the end of the day, when the elevator doors close, I am writing from the heart. And not driving too many people to dash out at the next floor.

2 comments:

  1. It is funny how some people talk in elevators and others do not. I rarely start a conversation, but in the elevators of our building, I have often had a good chat to people.

    <a href="<http://henderson.jo.blogspot.com/>>JO ON FOOD, MY TRAVELS AND A SCENT OF CHOCOLATE</a>

    ReplyDelete
  2. for a while there was a twitter account where conversations overhead in the elevators at Conde Nast were tweeted ...

    ReplyDelete